Google Search

Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Frequent Web Stops

I know, I know. I'm really not living up to my early blogging promises, am I? My sincerest apologies. But, here I am.

Now, unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on a working copy of ZorinOS yet, and due to my new teaching career I really didn't focus as much on migrating to Ubuntu as I planned. So don't expect a discussion on any of those subjects yet. Rather, in this post, I would like to share some of my favorite on-line places with you.

Firstly, there's Facebook. Obviously I don't really need to say much about it. I know, their privacy and security features are notoriously pathetic. But hey, none of that has ever affected me before. I find that Facebook is a great place to find old friends, and an even greater place to maintain some form of communication with people that are far away or that I just can't reach regularly in any other way in these rushed times. Yes, I'm addicted to Facebook. So sue me.

Secondly, there's Weather24. A very informative, though sometimes completely inaccurate, weather service. And I can access it from my BlackBerry, which definitely gives it Brownie Points.

Thirdly, theres PCMech. In their own words, "Helping Normal People Get Their Geek On". An awesome resource of IT and computer-related news and tips. They even inspire some of my own blog posts. I'm subscribed to their weekly newsletter, so I can get all the PCMech goodness in my inbox.

There are also quite a few blogs that I love to visit, some of them purely for entertainment purposes, and others for their intellectual or spiritual content:

  • Blog of Ice: This blog belongs to my oldest friend and his wife (oldest not by age, but simply because we've been friends the longest, since 1st grade). They emigrated from South Africa to Sweden a few years ago, and this blog lists their interesting (and often humorous) experiences.
  • Me, Myself and I: A blog by a very sweet person. She's sharing her struggles with Dissociative Identity Disorder (previously known as Multiple Personality Disorder), and the healing process that she has to go through to deal with all of the abuse she went through in her childhood. A very thought-provoking (and often tear-inducing) read.
  • Purple Black and Blue: Another blog by an old High School friend of mine. It's about abuse, all kinds of abuse, and ways to fight it. Very interesting thoughts and facts, and a good read for anyone, especially those of us with children.
  • 4 Seisoene: Mostly an Afrikaans blog, but with some very creative and inspiring thoughts by another old school friend of mine. Highly recommended as a light but uplifting read.
  • Life and Times of Jaco the Wizard: He describes me as being "...the proverbial band-camp IT geek". Very appropriate, since we really got to know each other in our High School Marching Band. Jaco (a.k.a. The Wizard) is very passionate about photography, and he shows off some of his work on this site, as well as sharing some humorous and thought-provoking insights.
I hope you will get as much out of these pages as I do. If you have any recommendations, please leave a comment...

Lourens, out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lourens,
    Baie dankie vir die shoutout, ek wardeer dit :)
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yes, I'm addicted to Facebook. So sue me." -- haha!

    The links are interesting, certainly!

    ReplyDelete